Bad behaviour always becomes more pronounced when you are crammed into a confined area when there is no escape ! Having just returned from another long haul trip it never fails to surprise me how inconsiderate some people can be of others. This can occur in First , business or economy class it is not limited. So to prevent situations escalating higher than the 36 000 feet you are flying at and your blood pressure reaching a higher temperature than your destination let me highlight some situations where your own behaviour may need to be checked in with your baggage !
Following my recent article on the downfall of manners many of you contacted me about manners on aeroplanes so I have consolidated your gripes into the following list. So lets work together to bring back the joy to travel !!
- I have never quite understood passengers that travel with quite so much hand luggage to save them 20 minutes at the other end. Lugging it all around the lounge when it could be easily checked in to ensure you have a far more relaxing and enjoyable time. BUT there is nothing more infuriating than all this hand luggage clogging up the queues at security while all these cases are unpacked and repacked. Make everyones jobs easier and waiting times quicker and CHECK IT IN !!!!
- When boarding an aircraft WITH ALL YOUR HAND LUGGAGE move out of the gangway as soon as possible so boarding can take place as quick as possible. I have seen passengers leisurely unpacking in the aisle totally oblivious to the 400 people waiting to pass by.
- Recently travelling in Business class on a £7000 air fare to enable me to sleep before a meeting that I was heading to I was mortified to find I was seated next to a baby that literally cried ALL night. Message to parents its all in the title BUSINESS class for business people who need to work on the run. Even if you all travelled Business and First all your life you have to adjust when you have a baby please consider other passengers. I would never have booked my baby into a business cabin I promise you we went everywhere by coach class. Message to airlines PLEASE make Business and First cabins child free until at least the age of 12 when they can actually appreciate it and WE can appreciate them. Remember people are paying thousands of pounds (and other currencies) JUST to avoid babies and badly behaved children.
- On the subject of children . Parents please stay in control. DO NOT LET YOUR CHILD KICK THE BACK OF THE SEAT IN FRONT FOR 11 CONSECUTIVE HOURS ! It is entirely up to you to keep them occupied.
- Reclining seats are a feature on all airlines in all classes let the person behind know that you are reclining the seat beforehand ensuring they don’t have any drinks/food on the tray behind. ALWAYS put your seat upright at meal times out of courtesy for the person seated behind to give them room to enjoy their meal. We know how cramped it can be to dine on a plane.
- What ever personal habits you have developed in your own personal space leave them there. A plane is NOT your own personal space. Do not subject your fellow travellers to nose picking, throat clearing, feet picking , wind breaking, sniffing, cutting nails (yes it really happens). Remember other people have THEIR own personal space too. Respect it.
- Please I beg you, NO BARE FEET. Of course you want to remove outdoor footwear on a long haul flight I get it, replace these with flight socks or flight slippers. Don’t put your feet on the arms of the seats in front or on the top of the seat or ON THE FOOD TRAY. A flurry of you tube videos have been posted recently showing just this.
- Check the volume of your headphones. Sitting next to someone with constant tinny noise of music that you don’t like and even if you do like it is so annoying after the first 3 hours.
- Toilet time. OMG how long does it take ? What are you people doing in there ????? When there is approx one restroom between 100 passengers please be aware that there will probably be 10 people waiting with crossed legs outside. Do what you have to do quickly and efficiently then leave. Oh after you have tidied up your mess on the seat , on the floor and in the sink and sanitised the entire area . I avoid these dreadful cubicles if I possibly can so when I need to go I need to go so GET OUT OF THERE !
- Finally please treat cabin crew with respect and courtesy. do not demand and say please and thank you. They have a difficult job and a limited time to do it in. Stay in your seat while they are serving from the trolley , although I have it on good authority the Captain always creates some turbulence during these times and the seatbelt sign just must go on…..
There will be points here that we all recognise and there may be some we are guilty of ourselves if this is you. STOP. THINK. Let us make air travel a more beautiful experience like it used to be.
JOJOS STYLELIST TIP: WE LIVE IN A SELFISH WORLD. TO CREATE STYLE AND BEAUTY AROUND US RELIES ON OTHER PEOPLE HAVING THE SAME VALUES. LET US START THINKING ABOUT OUR BEHAVIOUR AND THE AFFECT IT HAS ON OTHER PEOPLE. I HAVE FAITH WE ALL ULTIMATELY WANT. THE SAME OUTCOME.