This year has seen the way we work change and this could now be on a permanent basis for many of us as we adapt to working from home and conducting many meetings on Zoom calls. This raises a question of how we dress for maximum impact on the screen from the waist up!. Of course as many of you will know in my professional capacity as a scientific stylist being aware of your palette that makes you pop on screen and your clothing personality can really make a difference, So rather than go through all the rules once again the articles can be found on past blogs on this site. But will endeavour to repeat the blogs in the not too distant future.
Today will select some of my favourite pieces to put the va va voom into zoom. FROM THE WAIST UP !!
But first lets look at a few rules to look zoomtastic !
- Do not dress too distracting you want people to focus on what you say not how you look.
- Men clean shaven/groomed women hair off face and sorry girls please apply some make up . Both sexes do not look like you would normally look behind closed doors that “just got out of bed “look.
- Keep body parts covered. No cleavage or bare arms.
- No loud prints.
- No blanket bright white or black . Break up with another colour.
- Try to face a window and not back to a window to avoid the ‘silhouette’ effect.
- Use blank walls behind you where possible. I do not understand this TV trend of being interviewed in front of bookcases…. so distracting so you are not concentrating on what the person is saying………or perhaps that is why MPs favour this method !!
- Step back from the camera to avoid ‘wide angle face’. but don’t sit so far away that the mike cannot hear you clearly.
- Eye to eye with the web cam comes across best when talking to someone so stack your lap top if required or adjust your chair.
- Pretty much wear what your Company dress code is in the office with a little tweaking according to these rules. Although I am sure what you are wearing from the waist down we can leave to your own discretion.
- Show you care. No matter how early it is apply a quick light make up.
- Use concealer under the eys. Cameras have a tendency to emphasize shadows but pick up on light.
- Therefore highlight cheekbones but avoid looking too shiny and highlighting other areas that you may normally highlight in everyday situations.
- Brighter blusher.
- Natural eyeshadow in the crease of your eye to make eyes pop.
- Lashings of mascara.
- Nude glossy lips. Bright coloured lipstick can look ‘jammy; on screen and emphasize any bleeding and smudging. Distracting.
- Use powder on the central zone even if you do not normally. To prevent shiny face.
JOJOS PICKS >>>>>> CLICK ON THE URL AT THE BASE OF THIS PAGE TO VIEW THE IMAGES FOR CLICK AND SHOP.
JOJOS STYLELIST TIP: IT IS SO IMPORTANT TO FOLLOW YOUR REGULAR GROOMING ROUTINE IF YOU ARE WORKING FROM HOME, FOR PRODUCTIVITY AND MENTAL HEALTH. TRY TO MAKE AN EFFORT EVEN THOUGH YOU MAY NOT FEEL LIKE IT FOR YOUR OWN WELLBEING.