As you get older you realise that the beauty industry is largely a huge money making scam. You discover the promises sold to millions of consumers are mostly lies to get us to part with our money.
Eye creams are one such product . Beauty Companies, marketeers and beauty editors (with the promise of advertising revenue) tell us that it is essential. Tag lines inform us that this product will banish our fine lines, wrinkles, puffiness and dark circles. Wow a miracle product !! Well it would be if it worked !
I have heard from surgeons carrying out eye bag surgery that on incision they find congealed creams that have not been absorbed. So could eye creams actually be making the problem worse ???
Eye creams contain exactly the same ingredients as your normal moisterizer but they need to appear heavier so have thickening agents/chemicals added to them so now bear in mind that the skin around your eyes is thinner so more is absorbed and in our conquest to fight our eyebags we use far too much of it naturally exasperating the problem.
The biggest ageing factor of eyes by far are uv rays from the sun but very few eye creams even contain SPF !
On carrying out further research for this article I was astonished to find out that Eye Creams by law do not have to be FDA approved in the US for effectiveness or safety. Under EU regulations in Europe there is a larger scrutiny of ingredients and rules and regulations exist preventing the use of words such as ‘replenish’ ‘restore’ a quick glance through my bathroom shelves or a flick through a magazine will tell you these are simply replaced with phishing words such as ‘anti age’ , ‘hydra plumping’, ‘advanced repair’. These ‘slogans’ have exactly the same effect of drawing you in.
Okay so why am I best placed to talk to you about the negative impact of eye cream. I have always been sceptical about them and early on investigated the pros and cons only to discover cons. So from a young age I have NEVER used eye creams or concealers in fact the less you touch and drag that whole area the better. I do not have any eye bags or wrinkles now in my fifties. So let me give you some alternatives that GENUINELY work without loading your body with chemicals as I can feel many of you nervously twitching when I am telling you girls and boys to toss them in the bin today !
- All beauty starts with our nutrition. Too much salt and alcohol causes puffy eyes. You all know what you need to be eating without me preaching but do you do it? Flush out toxins with lots of water and food with high water content . Curb processed food. Like eye creams they contain chemicals.
- Make it cold. Cold spoons over the eyes are very effective. Freeze a pack of baby wipes to place over your eyes. I keep a gel eye mask in the fridge and a rose quart roller just to revitalise my eyes in the morning.
- Use natural products. Slices of cucumber contain mild astringent and antioxidants to reduce inflammation. Egg whites under the eyes have a temporary tightening effect for a night out much better than any product can deliver.
- Under eye dark circles are usually because of congestion around the area . This can be down to blocked sinuses. I cannot recommend enough the regular use of a Neti Pot with saline solution to flush out the area. You will definitely love me for this and I am sure this weekly use has prevented me getting a cold in the last 10 years. It makes your whole face look less puffy and congested.
- Pressure point massage around the eyes . So NO rubbing by just gently press with your ring finger in the corners of your eyes and either side of your nose and squeezing along the eyebrows to keep the blood flowing.
- Sleep. Your eyes need rest too. T o replenish your eyes try to get at least 7 hours sleep every night.
- AND the best way to prevent the UV rays ageing your eyes is to wear sunglasses with UV protection lenses. Wear them all year round . Look mysterious and stylish with the right pair.
Every one of these solutions reduce puffiness, stimulate blood supply restore and replenish in fact all those promises made to you on those expensive little jars can be fulfilled simply and cheaply without exasperating the problems with any chemically laden heavy creams and serums clogging up the area.
SHOP FOR YOUR NEW EYE ROUTINE BELOW if you are having trouble viewing these images click on the URL link at the base of this communication.
Let me know of any home made solutions you use for your eye area and share them with the rest of my subscribers we would love to hear from you !
JOJOS STYLELIST TIP: I AM SO AWARE OF THE MANIPULATION THE BEAUTY INDUSTRY SUBJECTS US ALL TO. YOU WILL ACHIEVE BETTER RESULTS WITH THE ABOVE SUGGESTIONS BUT IT DOES REQUIRE CONSISTENCY AND ROUTINE AS WITH ALL SUCCESSES IN LIFE.