When you reach your fifties and beyond you start to realise most of the things you fretted about in your younger years really all work themselves out all by themselves. I thought it would be fun to ask all my friends for a contribution and between us we came up with this list.
- It is not the end of the world after a break up in 6 months you will wonder what you saw in him/her almost embarrassed you were actually together. leave with dignity.
- The next boyfriend is ALWAYS better than the one before.
- The first time someone shows you are…..believe it …..the first time ! people really do not change their essence . If you see something you don’t like heed the early warning signals it wont get better.
- A certain amount of alone time is integral to your personal growth. Once you learn to enjoy your own Company and get to know yourself at a young age this will strengthen you for the rest of your life,
- Always show appreciation to those that are good to you. Genuine friends are hard to find. Hold onto them. Good manners count for a lot. Turn up on time. Respond immediately to invitations. Listen without judgement. Gifts of appreciation.
- People are drains or radiators. Surround yourself with radiators those that radiate positivity. Friends that drain you or you are exhausted or sad after seeing them can really affect your own mental state see them less .
- Envy is the scourge of mostly women friendships only cultivate friendships with those younger, prettier and richer than yourself to avoid those who want to bring you down.
- Invest more time in your friendships than your boyfriends these friendships will support you throughout life. Don,t ditch your girlfriends when you meet a man you can have both.
- Avoid expensive face creams or beauty products they are basically telling you lies and getting you to buy into your securities. Find what works for you.
- Wear clothes that suit your style and body shape not because a magazine tells you what you should be wearing.
- Never over pluck your eyebrows they do not grow back.
- Exercise does not make you smaller- eating less makes you smaller. The gym firms you up but yoga firms both body AND mind.
- You were never as fat as you thought you were ! Love your body and appreciates what it does for you.
- Start networking at a young age. Advancement has more to do with who you know and not what you know. The importance of building a good network cannot be underestimated. Exams are not everything.
- Never work for the money if you are not loving the work. If you do something you love you will never work a day in your life. If it pays less adapt your lifestyle.
- Always mentor those that report to you. Be inspirational.
- Do not be intimidated in the workplace you are just as smart as they are.
- Set life goals as well as work goals. Short, medium and long term …it worked for me. A map for your life journey is essential. Start it in your teens and update and adapt as you travel through life.
Finally…….BE AUTHENTIC ! BE YOU ! BE YOUR BEST SELF !
JOJOS STYLELIST TIP: THIS IS NOT AN EXHAUSTIVE LIST !! BUT HAVE THE CONVERSATION WITH YOUR CHILDREN/GRANDCHILDREN ABOUT WHAT WORKED OR WAS SO UNNECESSARY FOR YOU TO WORRY ABOUT.