With COP26 well under way this week in Glasgow, lets talk green !
Now , I realise some people are in denial about climate change but no one can deny that we are ruining our planet with at best poor housekeeping and at worst dirty filthy habits. There also can be NO denial that we can nurture our planet by all just making a few subtle changes to our lifestyle.
I decided to write about this following a dinner party discussion which involved us listing how green we were. Now I have never really thought about myself as being a green activist but I was surprised how “green” I actually live. I know I could do more but what I do , I do on a consistent basis, without too much trouble or hardship. So I will list the things that I came up with over the dinner table, which I am sure most of you already do, but if you don’t try to make some small adjustments to help clean our beautiful planet up. If I can do it, I am pretty sure you can. The planet is a thing of beauty to be handled with care and passed onto the many generations to whom we pass the baton.
- Always shower and only for 30 seconds unless i am washing my hair, rarely bath.
- I generate only half a small bag of waste each week. Only use bio degradable bin bags never plastic.
- Turn tap off while cleaning my teeth
- I do not class myself as a vegetarian but I only meat about once every six months
- Do not buy fast disposable fashion. I shop for clothes twice a year not twice a week ( or as some people do twice a day !!!)
- No longer buy bottled water I bought a Brita filter jug but I use the filter three times longer than recommended. I have a reusable bottle for life for water on the go.
- Energy efficient . I only have lights on in the room that is being occupied.
- Installed solar panels on my roof to lower my energy bills.
- Make my own cleaning products from white wine vinegar/lemon juice and soda crystals to cut down my chemical waste.
- Now take trains for long journeys (this is new to me !!) but they are much better than I recall.
- I have hessian lifetime shopping bags.
- Buy loose fruit and vegetables and don’t even use the plastic bags on the rack they go onto the conveyer belt singularly !!
- Oh… and I only have one child. Now I would never, unlike Meghan and Harry tell you how many children to have. Even though they now have gone against their own advice. Do as they say not as they do has become their mantra ! But just saying. This is only about me.
I certainly do not want to become a green preacher but these are all simple things to inject into your everyday life without too much planning. Think, if we all did these basic things what a massive difference we could make collectively.
JOJOS STYLELIST TIP: ADD MORE GREEN INTO YOUR DAY ON TOP OF MY FAMOUS GREEN JUICE WHICH I HOPE YOU ARE ALL HAVING EACH MORNING. FORGET ORANGE – GREEN IS THE NEW BLACK !!!!