All my life I was a gym bunny on a regular basis but never really lost any wait. Since giving up the gym completely 10 years ago and discovering yoga I have lost two stone and kept the weight off to maintain a healthy size 10. I purposely do not belong to a club I do my yoga at home alone or with an occasional instructor so it is part of a daily lifestyle. At 50+ it is tough anyway to lose weight so exercise needs to be a lifestyle change just move as much as possible but more importantly it is about a healthy diet. So lets look at 12 traps that I fell into while going to the gym and they may resonate with some of you going to the gym regularly but getting fatter !
- Losing weight is 80% what you eat and only 20% exercise. You may not be burning as many calories as you think you must eat less calories.
- The reward factor. after a heavy workout you may feel “I deserve” a cake or a large latte. Lunch with friends maybe an extra glass of wine. Most gyms have cafes these were lethal for me to head there straight after with my friends.
- Refuelling with carbs post workout like athletes do except……we are not athletes are we ?
- Sports drinks are usually on sale at gyms. Manufacturers convince us we need these . We don’t. They are highly calorific and full of sugar. Water will do.
- On the subject of water drink loads during and after working out as we sometimes mistake thirst for hunger . Dehydration can make us reach for sugary snacks.
- Do not eat before a workout go when hungry. Insulin will stop the mobilisation of fat.
- Drink black coffee before a workout it acts as a stimulant. The caffeine releases adrenaline hormones. I have always found my workouts easier with black coffee taken beforehand. Also it surprises the appetite AND no calories.
- Mix up your workout to trick muscle memory. Doing the same routine every workout your muscles remember and it gets easier for them.
- Quick 30 minute short bursts of activity won’t get your appetite raging. Endurance training makes you hungrier. By the end of a marathon there is also a huge appetite.
- Learn to like the feeling of being hungry ! That is when you know you are in deficit and you are fat burning.
- Eating healthy does not mean you can have twice as much or over indulge. Many healthy foods are calorie laden e.g. avocados,nuts,smoothies,protein bars, wholemeal bread.
- Studies have shown that many people with a strict exercise routine move less throughout the rest of the day. So it is no good if you go to the gym every day for an hour but don’t move for 23 hours !!
I hope this will help you to avoid some pitfalls around your workout. Maybe you recognised one or two (or even 3 or 4 ??) to answer the question why you are working so hard and not losing weight. Lets kickstart that weightloss today !!!!!
JOJOS STYLE LIST TIP : ANY FORM OF EXERCISE IS IMPORTANT FOR HEART AND BONE HEALTH BUT IF YOU ARE TRYING TO LOSE WEIGHT IT MUST BE COMBINED WITH HEALTHY EATING . NOT A DIET – A LIFESTYLE !