As the weather grows colder it is time to rethink our skin routine and rev things up to combat the drying effects of the harsh Winter weather. There a re some positive effects of cold weather .Less sebum production so less breakouts. the cold weather can act like a cryotherapy session pumping blood to the skin resulting in rosy cheeks and a radiant complexion. But sometimes we get a tightening of the skin which can be misleading that we think the skin is toning up when in fact it is lacking moisture. So the first thing we need to do is swap to heavier creams and oil based products to nourish our complexions.
YOUR 10 STEP ROUTINE FOR WINTER
1 Swap harsh cleansers to an oil based cleanser to ramp up a level of moisture. Use a natural sponge to remove. Try not to use too much water on the skin as this can be drying.
2 Use a serum or facial oil under a moisterizer to add an extra layer between your vitamin c cream and moisterizer.
3. Don’t discard your SPF because the sun is not shining. 80% of UV rays penetrate the clouds. Obviously they are not as strong as in the Summer so no need to overload the skin with SPF50 and unnecessary chemicals. An SPF20 will suffice.
4.Limit the use of harsh exfoliants and glycolic peeling pads as it is important not too strip the skin of its natural emolliants. Dead skin cells still build up but limit the use of these products to once a week instead of daily.
5. Pump up the use of hydrating facial masks two or three times a week to replenish the skin.
6. Night creams should be heavier in the Winter. Central heating and warm bedrooms are just as drying as cold weather.
7. If not currently using a great addition to your skincare routine at this time of year is a hyaluronic acid as this is a humectant that draws moisture from the air locking in moisture in the skin.
8.Do not forget lips as they can suffer and become dry and cracked. Exfoliate the lips to remove dry skin before adding an oil based gel to make the kissable again. Remember not to lick the lips when out in the cold it can exasperate the dryness due to the enzymes and chemicals in your saliva !
9. Do not neglect your body hands and feet this season. Our skins gets drier from being in drying central heating and layers of clothes. So bath oils, richer body creams and paraffin baths for feet and hands need to be built into your routine.
10.VITAMIN D ! EVERYONE should be taking Vitamin D in the winter. We usually get our Vitamin D from the sunshine the lack of Vitamin D can cause our skin to become dry, itchy and flaky.
So check your skin routine to make sure it manages to look radiant and glowing and protected from the elements.
Please find below a one stop shop for your Winter skin care wardrobe everything you need right here just click on the item to purchase. If you are having trouble viewing the images or have received this as a subscriber on e mail then please click on the URL at the base of the mail and the images will appear.
JOJOS STYLELIST TIP: IF YOUR SKIN , HAIR AND EYES GETS DRIER AT THIS TIME OF YEAR IT MAYBE WISE TO INVEST IN A HUMIDIFIER TO TAKE FROM ROOM TO ROOM. EXCELLENT FOR THE BEDROOM A PORTABLE ONE WILL LAST 20 HOURS. JUST MAKE SURE YOU CHANGE THE WATER REGULARLY AND CLEAN THE MACHINE TO AVOID MOULD OR SPORES BEING PUMPED OUT INTO THE AIR.