As many of you may be self isolating or it may become mandatory soon particularly for my older followers I am going to introduce you to three nutritional powerhouse soups. All can be made very quickly , and all can be made from frozen and store cupboard ingredients. The reason I chose these soups………
- You may be on your own so very little prep required (no chopping and peeling)
- When you are feeling poorly you sometimes only want soup
- All the ingredients are good for the immune system and detoxifying the body
- You can make one big pot for when you feel like a littel throughout the day
- Soft food so good for sore throats
Many people are stockpiling tinned soups these contain high levels of salt and sugar which can cause inflammation. Important to cut down on sugars and dairy when you have flu symptoms as they can excacerbate mucus in the membranes and inflammation. You need plenty of protein to fight the infection. avoid acidic foods eg tomatoes if you are vomiting .
Ingredients to Stockpile
Your shopping list for all 3 soups:
BAGS OF: CHOPPED ONIONS/LEAF SPINACH/BUTTERNUT SQUASH/BROAD BEANS/CHICKEN BREASTS
JAR OF FRESH GRATED GINGER/CHICKEN STOCK CUBES/TURMERIC POWDER/GHEE/ FRESH GARLIC BULBS(LAST UP TO 6 MONTHS)
ROAST GARLIC SOUP
4 whole garlic bulbs
cup of onions
- Slice across top of each bulb, no need to peel . Drizzle with olive oil. Cover with foil and roast for 40 mins in oven 190 degrees.
- Melt a tablespoon of ghee and saute the chopped onion
- Pour in 850ml of chicken stock
- When garlic nice and soft allow to cool a little then squeeze the garlic out of each bulb into the soup.
- Add 4 blocks of leaf spinach (optional)
- Add seasoning ( like WHITE pepper in this one)
- Blend until smooth
NUTRITIONAL NOTE: I would use onions and garlic as much as possible they are nutritional power houses that fight inflammation. Garlic is good at detoxifying the body is anti bacterial/antibiotic as they contain a chemical called Allicin. It is better to roast the garlic than chop as if you don’t chop/blend finely enough and a piece gets lodged in your intestines you can get garlic poisoning and it is very unpleasant take it from me. I use ghee (clarified butter) as it is tastier than butter but also has the milk part taken out so no lactose.
CHICKEN AND BROAD (FAVA)BEAN SOUP
2 cups of frozen broad beans
1 cup of onions
1 chicken breast
- Wrap chicken in foil with a little water and seasoning place in oven 180 degrees for 40 minutes. this way it keeps it nice and moist.
- Saute onions in ghee
- Add broad beans and saute for a few minutes
- Add chicken stock and boil for 15 minutes
- Blend until smooth.
- Once chicken cooked ( ensure it is cooked thoroughly) flake it into the soup
- Grind black peppercorns over the top.
NUTRITIONAL NOTES: Broad beans are LOADED with vitamins,minerals,fibre and protein. Impressive health benefits such as improved motor function and immunity. Chicken of course is great for protein and makes this soup more substantial. However if you need a real quick fix just omit the chicken . The Fava soup is great just how it is. Tastes amazing. I have it at least once a week.
BUTTERNUT SQUASH,TURMERIC AND GINGER SOUP
2 Cups of butternut squash
1 tablespoon of ginger
2 teaspoons of turmeric powder
Add some onions and garlic too if you like and seeds if you want some crunch.
- Just throw everything in a pot and boil for 15 minutes
- Blend . Season. That simple.
NUTRITIONAL NOTES: Turmeric is anti inflammatory. Butternut Squash is good for ACE vitamins and B vitamins, calcium ( great if you have cut back on the dairy), magnesium and zinc. It supports the natural function of the immune system.
IF YOU PREFER YOUR SOUPS THICKER/THINNER JUST ADJUST THE STOCK ACCORDINGLY.
JOJS STYLELIST TIP: THESE SOUPS ARE SO GOOD FOR YOUR IMMUNE SYSTEM DONT WAIT UNTIL YOU ARE ILL START BUILDING THEM INTO YOUR DIET TODAY.